The C.L.I.C. competition is looking for start-ups that can leverage the use of technology to address tangible challenges faced by large companies represented by the jury members.
Each start-up who reaches the final stages of the competition will be supported and mentored by a member of our jury to try and be one of the 3 winning start-ups.
Do you think you are one of them? So join us and let us discover your solution !
Contributing to 11% of GDP, the Canadian manufacturing industry made the shift to Industry 4.0 a few years ago. However, there is a need to accelerate the pace of appropriating these new tools such as robots, sensors, internet of things, big data, 3D printing and augmented reality in order to address several major issues.
ENERGY EFFICIENCY: Optimize resource consumption through energy efficiency (adjustment of production according to the cost of energy and its availability, automatic power off):
- Better understand how energy is used
- Identify and prioritize energy savings opportunities
- Recommend measures to reduce energy consumption
FLEXIBILITY: Make production tools more flexible in order to adapt to demand in real time.
TRACEABILITY: Improve the traceability of manufactured products (place and date of manufacture) until the end-user, as well as controls throughout the manufacturing process in order to facilitate the targeted recall of products in case of defects.
OPTIMIZATION OF PRODUCTION: Predict defects, as well as diagnose and intervene quickly to ensure the availability of machines in order to prevent any breakage or decline in production quality.
SAFETY: Improve safety, occupational health of employees, and the safety of industrial sites (facial recognition)
Energy & Resources
This sector faces multiple challenges, sometimes contradictory, wich make the equation complex. It must reconcile objectives to reduce costs, improve extraction methods and increasing production, in a context of global price decline, while ensuring an energy transition that can meet the demands of a climate emergency. These are the cores themes and related issues in this sector and what needs to be done.
OPERATIONAL PERFORMANCE, RELIABILITY AND FACILITIES AVAILABILITY
- Monitor and control proper functioning of facilities
- Ensure the efficiency of maintenance operations (preventive and predictive maintenance)
- Support the organization of operators' tasks in the field and their interactions with the internal and external environment (cloud access, note taking, dematerialization of documents)
PEOPLE, GOODS AND ENVIRONMENT SAFETY
- Alert operators in the field of imminent danger and guarantee their protection
- Reduce risk at all stages of the process (resource exploration, exploitation, transportation, secondary processing, storage, distribution and use)
INDUSTRIAL, ENERGY, PROCESSES AND FACTORY EFFICIENCY
- Optimize reduction of water use and impacts on aquatic ecosystem
- Improve waste management
- Reduce carbon emissions and greenhouse gases
- Strengthen the use of advanced materials and bioproducts
Food & Agriculture
In 2016, this sector was worth $ 112 billion, 50% of which is related to exports. Future growth in this sector will require resilience to intense competitive pressures in global and domestic markets. Innovation will be one of the pillars to achieve this and in turn provide concrete answers to some of its challenges
ENVIRONMENTAL: Develop sustainable production systems able to respect biodiversity and integrate the climate challenge
PRODUCTIVITY: Reconcile the objective of increasing yields in a context of limited resources (water, energy, volumes of inputs, agricultural surfaces, ...)
TRANSPARENCY / TRACEABILITY: Respond to the ever-increasing demands of consumers for transparency and eco-responsible consumption (knowledge of ingredients, places of manufacture, growing terrain, farming conditions, geographical origin). Traceability throughout the food chain becomes a critical issue.
OMNICHANNEL: Respond to consumer expectations by distributing products and services through different channels (points of sale, internet, directly at home)
INTERACTION: Better interact and know your customers by knowing how to aggregate, compile and analyze the multitude of data available and thus more precisely meet their needs.